Saturday, April 30, 2011

Day 12 – Day Eight of Our Pilgrimage – St. Peter’s Basicalla – 25 April 2011


Monday morning arrived far too soon as we collectively struggled out of our beds to face yet another exciting day despite the light drizzle. What is a pilgrimage without some amount of sacrifice? We departed on time to catch our train to the Vatican for our private Mass by the tombs of the Popes. The theme of Father Thomas’ homily was the fidelity of Christ through his resurrection.

We arrived right on time and quickly made our way to the private entrance to the tombs of the Popes. Out of respect of this holy place, we struggled to limit the number of photographs taken, especially our budding team of photographers. We were all in great awe by what we saw. This was truly a fantastic location.

As we traversed downward through the narrow passageways, we could feel the slight change in air temperatures as we passed many chambers on either side of us. Some chambers were will with similar groups like ours celebrating Mass, singing hymns or deep in Eucharistic Adoration. Our Timber wolves and Explorers took it all in and you could feel a deeper reverence overcome the group.

Mass was truly beautiful in the most holy place containing mortal remains of great Pope and saints such as St. Peter being meters away. During Mass we sang from the depth of our hearts as our voices echoed from the low ceiling of the chamber, its unique artwork and the statue of a great Hungarian saint. The theme of Father Thomas’ homily centered around’ “The Fidelity of Christ through his resurrection”. When Jesus makes a promise he always delivers. If Jesus had not risen from the dead then our faith would be in vain. Jesus calls out to our boys and to all of us to do our best hear and then to follow his will. We each have a role to play in this world which is preordained by God. By doing God, we will be truly be happy.

This morning for the first time we noticed “fatigue in our boys. The pace of the pilgrimage had finally caught up with them. They had done well. Some barely slept in the plane coming over from Canada. They had caught naps on the train rides to and from camp. They slept in tents and bed at camp that were not their own, etc. Now we were observing them nodding off during Mass and we needed to encourage them to stay awake.

As Mass came to an end we made our way t o pray by the tomb of Poe John Paul II. Unfortunately, our timing was a bit off as the tombs had opened to the general public and hundreds of people where present. The guards had started hustling people along to prevent congestion in the passageways. We did not get the opportunity to stop and pray..sigh. However we did see the lower level of St. Peter’s tomb.

We ascended the stairs to the main level of St. Peter’s Basilica. The vastness and grandeur of the largest and greatest church in the world was truly a sight to behold. Using the headset system, Father Thomas explained the massive statues, paintings, columns, altars and much more. Father explained that the artwork, especially the lettering the ceilings were designed to ensure that it is easier to read by pilgrims like ourselves. Most of pour boys were interested and attentive to the tour while other were becoming restless and wanted to sit or lean against any available structure to rest. Unfortunately, there are not may places that you can sit or rest in St. Peter as they try to accommodate as many pilgrims as possible within the space. Therefore, the security guards approached us a few times requesting that we demonstrate greater respect for our surroundings.

As lunch hour approached we noted that a number of boys demonstrated signs of exhaustion. The crowd in the basilica had grown quite large and it became increasingly difficult for us to gather together and appreciate the beautiful works of art around us. Coincidentally, Father Thomas had completed his review of the left side of the church. We decide to remove ourselves from the massive crowd and save our boys by being bumped into be the other visitors. We exited St. Peter and found a spot near to basilica to have lunch.

Lunch was simple but delicious. We made sandwiches with bread, sliced meat and cheese, ice tea and had cookies and chocolate for dessert. We noted with interest that our group gained curious glances from a few passersby. After lunch we elected to leave St. Peters to return to the seminary so that we could give our exhausted group some well needed rest. Then we came across a small challenge. We soon realised that since it was Easter Monday, the train system operated at reduced capacity and our train was availably every other hour instead of hourly. This stretched our 45 minute wait into a 2 hours and 15 minute wait.

Instead of continuing to stand on the platform for the long wait, we decided to more our 46 boys to a nearby church to pray. Unfortunately, the church was closed. Not to be deterred, we sat on the steps under a large crucifix and recited the Rosary. Before we prayed we had a 20-minute discussion on our prayer intentions. We then went back to the train station just before our train arrived. This train ride was fairly easy as we did not have to deal with the regular rush hour crowd. Upon arrival at the seminary we immediately sent the boys off for a valuable 3-hour nap. Most boys took advantage of this opportunity, but a few did not.

At 6 pm, we entered the main chapel for a private one hour Eucharistic adoration, including the Chaplet of Divine Mercy and moments of silence for individual prayer. Before the end of Adoration we encouraged our boys to call out to Jesus in their own personal way to thank him. Many of them voiced their thanks with the following comments:
  • Dying on the cross for me
  • Rising from the dead
  • Confession
  • For my parents
  • For creating me and giving me life
  • Your love
  • My family
  • The Mass
  • Eucharistic Adoration
  • Our leaders
  • Friends and enemies
  • School
  • Canada
  • Our pilgrimage
  • Protecting us and our families
  • Holy Mass
  • Communion
  • Graces
  • Our Pope
  • The great weather
  • Father Thomas and Brother Nicholas
  • Forgiveness
  • Our Catholic faith
  • Joy
  • Happiness and even when we are sad
  • Our FNE Explorer movement

As we concluded Eucharistic Adoration we could see a sense of renewal, joy, laughter, peace and excitement fall over our boys. We then moved to the next aspect of the evening’s program – individual testimonies. Adoration appeared to put our boys at ease and we moved them into a large classroom on the campus. The classrooms were in the University side of the seminary’s campus. The individual testimonies were provided by pilgrims (Timber wolves, Explorers and Leaders), Brothers and Father Thomas.


Testimonies Shared at Special Night Prayers (cont’d)
The testimonies provided were sincere, forthright, and in some cases eye opening. It was great to see our boys encourage each other by providing a round of applause to thank and encourage each person who spoke. Surprisingly, this last round of testimonies where the deepest and most moving.
  1. Boy 1
    1. I was excited to see all the beautiful churches
    2. It made my faith more meaningful and I will focus more on my spiritually and how to become a better person at home
  2. Boy 2
    1. Before attending church did not mean anything for me
    2. Now I want to understand more about Mass and church
    3. I was struck by the movie Passion of Christ and how much Jesus suffered for us
    4. Mass means more to me now
  3. Boy 3
    1. St Francis of Assisi provide a good example of poverty and hard work
    2. In future I will complain less
  4. Boy 4
    1. With all the artefacts and relics for saint like St Clair, I can feel that my religion is real
    2. I will go to Mass more
  5. Boy 5
    1. I will go to Mass more
  6. Boy 6
    1. Before I came on the pilgrimage, material things were so important to me
    2. I have now gain more knowledge
    3. I was most struck by the cradle of Jesus an how simple it was. Simplicity means a lot
    4. I will go to mass more
  7. Boy7
    1. Before I did not appreciate that God provides us with lessons
    2. Now I find that there is a lot to learn
    3. One of the things a realised was how much pain Jesus went through to save us
    4. I will attend Mass more often and appreciate it more
  8. Boy 8
    1. Now Mass is more meaningful to me
    2. I will appreciate Mass and attend more often
  9. Boy 9
    1. I understand more about Jesus
    2. I will pray more often
  10. Boy 10
    1. I will learn to appreciate things more
  11. Boy 11
    1. I recognise that photos are not that important
    2. Prayer is more important
  12. Boy 12
    1. I asked Jesus if my soul was worth so much to be saved
    2. I will pray more often
  13. Boy 13
    1. I am more a believer in Jesus, especially when blessed by our Holy Father
    2. I will pray more, Go to confession more often and try to learn more
  14. Boy 14
    1. I feel stronger in my faith after seeing the blood stains or Jesus
    2. Every day of my life I should be thankful to God
  15. Boy 15
    1. Jesus suffered a lot for us
    2. I better understand how he spread the word of God
    3. When I go home, I will do the same
  16. Boy 16
    1. Before I thought Christianity was just going to Mass on Sundays
    2. Now, I understand the major point is that Jesus suffered and rose from the dead
    3. I cried at the tomb of St. Francis
    4. I will pray more often
  17. Boy 17
    1. Watching Passion of Christ made me realise that Jesus really suffered a lot for us
    2. I will try and stop sinning and behave a lot better
  18. Boy 18
    1. I swore a lot before
    2. After seeing the movie, I see how much Jesus suffered for us. I was really touched by the injuries to his body
    3. I will be try not to swear that much when I go home
  19. Boy 19
    1. St. Francis’ life was very significant to me
    2. At the Holy Stair struck me, I was upset that others were not that serious in their praying
    3. I will appreciate Jesus’ Passion much more than before. I will pray more whole heartedly and examine my conscience more
    4. I will look for ways to develop my spiritual life
  20. Boy 20
    1. This pilgrimage taught me to pray more whole heartedly
    2. I will pay more attention when I pray
  21. Boy 21
    1. Before I was excited on seeing all the cool stuff
    2. I was struck at St. Francis of Assisi that it is more than and attractive spot
    3. I will do more praying when I get home
  22. Boy 22
    1. Before Mass was not so meaningful
    2. Now I realise that this religion is the right one for me
    3. I will pray more and attend Mass more seriously
  23. Boy 23
    1. I have a better understanding of Jesus’ suffering
    2. I will pray more often
  24. Boy 24
    1. I know that Jesus suffered a lot in general, but after watching the movie I know better understood the extent of his suffering
    2. Each time we sin I understand that it is a burden to him
    3. The image of the blood stained stairs reminded me that Jesus loved us so much
    4. Each time I pray, I will pray the Rosary with the intension to take sin away
  25. Boy 25
    1. I realised how Jesus suffered
    2. When I am in Mass, I will be more serious and pray harder to change my heart
  26. Boy 26
    1. I cried for Jesus at the movie
    2. I will try and help my father and mother more
  27. Boy 27
    1. Every time I pray the Rosary in future my intensions will be more serious
    2. I will pray more at home
  28. Boy 28
    1. I saw how the Holy Spirit worked in St. Francis
    2. All the Popes toms confirmed that my faith is true
    3. Seeing Jesus’ pain in the movie touched me a lot
    4. My faith and courage has grow stronger
    5. I will say daily prayers
  29. Boy 29
    1. I cannot image how people cannot believe in God
    2. I will listen to the readings and gospel with more attentiveness
  30. `Boy 30
    1. Before the pilgrimage, confession had little meaning to me
    2. Now I have a better understanding of confession
    3. My family is important to my life, I will do more things at home and do more confession
  31. Boy 31,
    1. I was more like a tourist before, now I feel more touched spiritually
    2. Now I understand why my Mom reads the bible
    3. I will clean up after myself more often
  32. Boy 32
    1. Now adoration and Mass is more meaningful to me
    2. I liked all the places where we saw evidence of the saints
    3. I will pay more attention in Mass
  33. Boy 33
    1. I may want to be a priest but I have not got the calling
    2. The Holy Stairs struck me the most
    3. I will pray more seriously
  34. Boy 34
    1. I came looking for proof that God is real and I got it on this pilgrimage
    2. I will pray more and play video games less
  35. Boy 35
    1. I gained a better appreciation for the spiritual side of the Vatican
    2. I will try my best to be nicer to my sister and not fight with her
  36. Boy 36
    1. I will pray more often, attend mass more often and be nicer to my friends
  37. Boy 37
    1. Before I was curious about God
    2. Now I have a better appreciation for who God is and that he will always help us
    3. I understood a lot better after watching the movie
    4. I will pray every day and will tell others about the story of St. Francis and the Pope to others
  38. Boy 38
    1. I am trying to find my vocation, but I have not yet
    2. I will spend time in prayer and listen more to God
    3. I am sure God exists after seeing the evidence of all the miracles
  39. Boy 39
    1. I feel deeper in my faith
    2. I made more friends
    3. God gave me obstacles to help me grow
    4. I will try to be good and better to my parents
  40. Boy 40
    1. The love that God has is better that any other love
    2. At the holy Stairs, I dedicated the pain to God
    3. I have much greater love for God and will continue to love him more at home
  41. Boy 41
    1. I now understand how much Jesus suffered for us
    2. I will try not to swear as much
  42. Boy 42
    1. I did not care about Mass as much
    2. Now I realised how important Mass is and appreciate the need to be more holy
    3. I will pray more meaningfully and be more attentive at Mass
  43. Boy 43
    1. I realised that I always ask God for things but never say thank you in return
    2. I will ask my friends for forgiveness for what I have done to them
  44. Boy 44
    1. Before faith was only going to Mass on Sundays and it did not exist on the other days
    2. I am impressed by the history of the church
    3. I will pray more when I get home 

We concluded our evening by visiting the beautiful chapel for evening prayers and then sent everyone off to bed. 



Map of trip St. Peter Square:


Facebook stored photos:

1 comment:

  1. What a lovely post on Rome ! You make my heart to go back to Italy ! You have a stunning blog ! I have always dreamed of visiting Italy!
    I would love to enjoy Catacombs Tours in Rome!! Thanx for sharing excellent informations.
    ................................................................................
    Rome walking tours

    ReplyDelete