Saturday, April 23, 2011

Day 8 – Day Four of Our Pilgrimage – Holy Stair and St. Mary Major Basilica – 21 April 2011

 Our Lord blessed us with another beautiful day. Today we elected to ‘delay’ the start our day by 90 minutes and therefore missed the opportunity to have Mass at St John Lateran. However our boys and leaders needed the extra sleep. Our first stop of the day was at the Holy Stairs. These are the actual stairs that Jesus walked up to be judged by Pilate.

As we slowly made our way up the stairs on our knees (it was quite painful for some of us) we reflected on the Passion of Jesus. We recited a Hail Mary on each step. Many of our boys and leaders reported that this was a very special and spiritual moment. At the top of the stairs many of us went the chapel to thank the Lord for what he has done for us. Upon leaving the Holy Stairs we went to a downtown part for a relaxing picnic before heading to St Mary Major Basilica.

Rome is home to many religious relics. These relics help us as believers to better understand, appreciate and value the key facets and teachings of our faith. St Mary Major offered up yet another religious relic – the manger of our Lord Jesus Christ. Father Thomas led us through a tour of what is considered by many to me the most beautiful basilica outside of St. Peter’s and it lived up to the expectation.

As part of our visit, we stopped in front of a beautiful statue of Mother Mary where we knelt to pray one decade of the Rosary. As we entered into a deep sense of prayer we noted that all activity around us seemed to stop. Other people around us joined a prayed the Rosary with us. Other people seemed to be in awe. (Sorry parents – most churches do not allow photos and we as good Explorers respect the rules even if other do not.)

We moved to a beautiful chapel that was truly stunning and prayed silently the next decade of the Rosary in front of the tabernacle. While we prayed we reflected on the day’s event. Before departing from the church we entered a small crypt to view the manger of Christ enclosed in a golden glass case for the last two decades of the Rosary. This time we reflected on what we have seen..it was awesome. From there we quickly moved back to the train station for our return to the seminary for the Mass of the Last Supper.

The Timber wolves and Explores where so excited as they got into their suits and ties for the first time. Grey Wolf/Akela really enjoyed helping many of the boys put on the neck ties. Parents, your sons looked very sharp in their Sunday best!

We entered the chapel filled to capacity for the Mass of the Last Supper. The Seminarians sang so well that many of our Explorers and Timber wolves later remarked how beautiful and inspiring it was. Our boys received communion on this special night with an extra degree of reverence by kneeling. On this special occasion they received both the body and blood of Jesus on their tongues. Our boys participated in long moments of prayer when they returned to their seats.

After Mass, we changed and enjoyed a great meal together before heading off to the classroom to review the team procedures and share more testimonies (see summary below) which were good but not quite as dynamic or deep as those heard on Monday night. From there we went to bed. Our boys were especially restless and it took longer than usual for them to fall asleep.

Testimonies Shared at Special Night Prayers
Our boys have truly been blessed by our Lord throughout this pilgrimage. They shared that they were very appreciative of all the support they received through, fundraising, prayers, etc. Some boys have been touched with a new sense of peace; others expressed their growth in the appreciation of the Mass and yet others have found a new and deeper faith in God. All in all the pilgrimage has brought our boys into a new sense of community. Love and respect for each other, especially through the caring for each other and as they look after their younger brothers. Here are a few comments made by our boys:

  1. Boy 1
    1. Felt a lot stronger in Catholic faith, after I joined FNE. I was a ‘jerk’ in grades 1 to 3 and up to no good. I was introduced to FNE by friend. I stay on and realise God is real. I feel I would be lost if I had no joined the FNE. I can see the respect that between the teams and the leaders.
    2. At the museum, each painting has a meaning to it. I realised that people who made these paintings are strong in the Catholic Faith. There are so many Catholics in the world. You do not need to be afraid about practising your faith, You can be open and admit you are Catholic

  1. Boys 2
    1. So impressed by the painting in the museum, I want to be a saint someday.

  1. Boy3
    1. When I saw the Pope pass by I wondered if he is real. I never thought I would see the Pope so closely. Inside I felt like the Pope was blessing me.
    2. At the museum, I saw many pictures and sculptures of people kneeling down to pray. I felt that God was looking down on me from the ceiling.
  2. Boy 4
    1. At the church in Loreto, I cried during adoration. I felt that I needed to be nicer to people, to pray more, and to feel God. The pilgrimage has been very good for me.
  3. Boy 5
    1. I did not want to join the FNE because my impression was that they annoy people, sell bad apples, and did not obey others.
  4. Boy 6
    1. I would like to change and become a better person
    2. I like the Holy Stairs
    3. I appreciate all that Akela/Grey Wolf has done for us
  5. Boy 7
    1. I really appreciated the significance of walking the path that Jesus took before us
  6. Boy 8
    1. I really appreciated seeing the Jesus’ manger
    2. I felt really excited on seeing the Pope. I felt really good when he acknowledged me.
    3. My dream is to become an ordinary saint
  7. Boy 9
    1. All the holy placed has something that got me
  8. Boy 10
    1. My goal is to learn more about my faith and my Church
    2. I am getting a lot of valuable information
    3. Thank you all for making this possible
  9. Boy 11
    1. My goal for the pilgrimage is to fight off the sadness due to insulation
    2. I want to let people know that insulting people is insulting God. God takes the pain of those being insulted. If anyone insult others, they are insulting God and he feels the pain. The pilgrimage should help to heal
  10. Boy 12
    1. Before I became a Timber wolf, I thought going to church as torture. As a Timber wolf I am learning a lot more about church
    2. During the pilgrimage I feel blessed by the Pope
  11. Boy 13
    1. I lost my backpack. God is going me a chance to learn
    2. I used to blame on others. Now I am taking responsibility that I did not think enough
    3. Thank you Akela for opening up my eyes to the Catholic faith
    4. Jesus is so cool that he died and after three days he rose from the dead
  12. Boy 14
    1. Before coming to FNE, attending Mass meant nothing to me. Yesterday in Mass, I felt something changed. It meant something to me
    2. I hope and pray this feeling stays
  13. Boy 15
    1. I came on the pilgrimage because I wanted to become stronger
    2. Before I did not understand much about the church
    3. During this pilgrimage I am learning a lot
    4. I liked the adoration and I am amazed by St. Francis
    5. It is awesome

Map of trip Holy Stair and St. Mary Major Basilica:
Link to map of our travels on Thursday


Facebook stored photos:
Link to Day8 photos

No comments:

Post a Comment